Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Sather Gate


Sather Gate

Today I went on a short walk with a good acquaintance and we found ourselves at Sather Gate. He told me a story I'd not heard about sculptured panels of nudes on either side of the gate. I was advised that when installed, Ms. Sather (who had endowed the school considerably to erect the gate in honor of her late husband) was horrified when she'd actually seen the male nudes as situated above the "erected by Jane K. Sather." They immediately removed the panels and put them in storage for several decades before being found again in the late 70s.

I got a laugh out of that, but I guess the school eventually saw fit to reinstall the panels (eight of them.. 4 each depicting male and female nudes in classic relief,)but switching it up so the female nudes are on the exterior side of the gate above the inscription.. and the male on the interior, the less wordy side, I suppose.

No comments: